The Police Public Relations Officer, PPRO, in the state, Shehu Muhammad, disclosed this to journalists in Gusau on Tuesday.
Mr. Muhammad, however, said the command had yet to ascertain the actual number of those killed during the mayhem; although residents said over 40 people were killed.
He said investigation into the killing had just begun.
He said the anti-terrorism squad of the command had already been deployed to the area to join the Army in trailing the gunmen, and assured that they would soon be arrested.
Witnesses in the area said the gunmen numbering over 70 rode into the mining site at around 3 p.m.
on Monday and shot anyone on sight, killing over 40 persons and injuring several others.
The gunmen were said to have carted away most of the mineral finds and also killed some of those that were in the mining pit.
The Chairman of Maru Local Government, Salisu Dangulbi, confirmed the killings but said that staff of the local council were still assisting security agents in their investigation.
The News Agency of Nigeria recalls that the armed bandits have resumed their activities in full swing after the state had started enjoying peace following the launching of a military offensive tagged: “Operation Harbin Kunama” by President Muhammadu Buhari in July.
The bandits now kidnap people in various parts of the state, the latest incident being the kidnap of the Vice-Chairman of Anka Local Government Area who has been released, and that of the village head of Doka, who is still their custody.
Similarly, the bandits recently killed six members of the outlawed volunteer security outfit, “Yan Sa Kai” in a confrontation on the outskirts of Anka town.
On Sunday, the hoodlums also killed 10 traders from Kanoma town who were on their way to the Talata-Mafara market.